Wednesday, February 13, 2008

MADLY IN LOVE

A few years ago legendary screenwriter Alvin Sargent (who also happens to be one of the nicest and most supportive people I've ever known) gave me the honor of letting me read one of his unpublished screenplays called MADLY IN LOVE.

A few nights ago, when Matt and I viewed THE GRADUATE again, it reminded me that I still had Alvin's screenplay, and I couldn't wait to read it again. Well I did, and now I can't stop thinking about it! It's so good. It was written in 1988, and has that feel of what Matt would call "The Golden Age of Cinema" (1967-1982). It's such a wonderful character piece, and I pictured the main character as a cross between a grown-up Benjamin (from THE GRADUATE) and Roy Neary (from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS). I love how there are moments of pure "being" in it. And the story is so beautiful; it's about a person who's at a pivotal turning point in his life, and you can feel the pull toward each side. He will either become completely introverted (giving into his fears of the world), or find a way to break free of it at last. Thinking about it now, PURGATORY HOUSE, ODD BRODSKY and MADLY IN LOVE all have a common main theme: the heroes are trying to break free of their self-imposed limitations, to create a more passionate and fulfilling life for themselves. That seems to be my archetype!

To be honest, Alvin has been a hero of mine for quite awhile, and he doesn't know it. I never told him and we've sort of lost touch. He's been so supportive of me, and of my career as an actress and as a director. Back when I originally read this script, I wanted to impress him, and somehow think I held back by not saying how much I loved this piece. I am sheepish to admit that I can be very shy, and I have never expressed to him how much I admire him (both as a person AND as an artist) or how honored I felt that he let me read this personal script! Life is so short. I'm going to send him a letter and tell him how I feel.

No comments: