Monday, February 4, 2008

ATONEMENT

We finally saw ATONEMENT (which is nominated for 7 Academy Awards, and won the Golden Globe for "Best Picture") followed by a great filmmaker Q&A featuring all the key crew. Nothing beats seeing a film in a good theater on a properly calibrated system. (Although my husband would argue that his home projector rivals a good movie theater, --and it does.) The direction is amazing. I love the way Joe Wright and editor Paul Tothil use the typewriter. And the look of the film is beautiful: the photography, the production design, and the costumes -Gorgeous! And the sound design was spectacular!I also love the way they used the non-linear time-line in a unique way. And that 5 minute oner on the beach -spectacular! (Although it did not seem to fit the style of the film. The filmmakers said this shot was actually inspired as a solution to a problem, which explained the out-of-place feeling). Although I could appreciate the film and it's beauty, it didn't really move me, which I found odd. Especially since I'm so easily moved. I didn't find Keira Knightley charismatic or likable in this role. (And her thinness concerned me). However James McAvoy was amazing. Also, I think it would have been more powerful for me if Briony's character was a bit more "normal"; normal kids often misinterpret what they see. And the movie seemed a bit disjointed, almost like 3 entirely different films. The Q&A was a lot of fun. Their DP sounds just like Paul McCartney! Pictured above (left to right): Editor-Paul Tothil, The Panel Moderator, Screenwriter -Christopher Hampton, Costume Designer -Jacqueline Durran, Set Decorator -Katie Spencer, Production Designer -Sarah Greenwood, Cinematographer -Seamus McGarvey and Director -Joe Wright. (Click on photo to enlarge)

No comments: