Tuesday, January 15, 2008

WAL MART: THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICES

What an amazing documentary. If you haven't seen it, I hope you will. What's so great is that it presents the problem, and then shows many people who's succeeded in battling the problem. I love that! I can't believe that one of the richest companies in America pays it's employees so little that the majority of them live at the poverty level, can't even afford health insurance and have to have assistance from the state. And did you know that when a Wal-Mart comes to a small town, most of the mom n' pop shops are forced out of business within months, because they can't compete with the low prices (which are low due to importing from other countries where people are paid as little as 50 cents/week!?) It's so sad.

Well, I'm doing my part. I called up the manager of my IRA account and asked if I had any stocks in Wal-Mart. When I found I did, I changed funds! I don't want to support them, or make money from their success at such a cost. I feel really good.

No comments: