Thursday, December 27, 2007

I AM LEGEND: Lighten up the darkness

Matt and I saw Will Smith's latest film I AM LEGEND yesterday. We see most of our screenings at the Director's Guild Theater, so it was a thrill going out to the local multiplex and getting to watch trailers for a change, (although the trailers turned out to be a bit depressing). There's just so much darkness in movies these days. One movie trailer was for the most ridiculous-looking film that appeared to be a studio version of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, only with lots of torture. It's strange to see a studio film using ugly (and seemingly inexpensive) video aesthetics to emulate a small indie. I guess it's a way they can save money too. But the real kicker for me was the premise: hundreds of videotapes are found that were shot by a serial killer, showing his victim's deaths as he recorded them. OMG! I'm sorry, but I'm so over this torture genre.

Getting back to I AM LEGEND, it had a great theme to it. The Tag-line was "Lighten up the Darkness", which really spoke to me (and seemed particularly apropos considering the preceding trailers). Will is such a talented actor. You've got to love his passion and commitment.

Todays films are teaching me more and more about myself. Over the past several years I've come to realize that I don't respond to film (or art) that is out of balance, showing only the dark side. Like I AM LEGEND says: Lighten up the darkness.

No comments: