Sunday, September 21, 2008

More than a lifetime ago

"I am sure you don't remember me, but you were my camp counselor at Camp Hayward in like 1988. I never forgot you!! You were such a positive influence and you were so beautiful, both inside and out. I can only see a tiny little profile picture, but it looks like you haven't changed a bit. I just wanted to let you know that you made a difference in my life and I hope that you are doing well!"  I just received this message on facebook and I'm moved beyond words. Being the obsessive documentarian that I am, I referred to my handy photo album and found that I absolutely DO remember her! 

When I pulled out the old photo album all those memories came rushing back. I wonder what ever became of the old gang. Eileen, Lori, Vicky, Simon, Duncan and the rest. When Matt and I were last in Massachusetts we drove down to Cape Cod and I showed him the camp. The whole thing has changed. New cabins, new community hall, and they have horses now!  (I guess the girls no longer have a reason to go to the boy's camp across the lake!) That was such an amazing, magical, happy and sad time of my life.  It almost seems like a dream now.  
"Ra ra Camp Hayward, Hayward. Ra ra Camp Hayward Hayward. Ra ra Hayward we love you."

No comments: